Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Backtrack 5 R3 | Install Nvidia video driver in Backtrack 5 r3 the easy and correct way


The biggest pain for me was finding out how to disable the nouveau driver to allow the Nvidia driver to be install because with out disabling it you will get nothing done..
[/size]
Restart your computer and before you go into the GUI for Backtrack or type startx  type these commands to Disable the Kernel Nouveau.


Driver Download http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

 --------> I renamed mine to 21.run soon after I downlaoded the driver from Nvidias site and placed it in the root of my drive so I could find it easily since I would be navigating through terminal only and wouldn't be in the GUI for this install.


Only paste in the blue highlighted text into terminal

1. echo options nouveau modeset=0 | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf

2. update-initramfs -u

Super important every one make sure to reboot your computer after typing the 2 commands above.

After the 2 commands above restart your computer once again or it will not go through the install process..

Make sure your haven't typed startx yet or gone into the GUI Backtrack  for these steps as well or it will not install the driver.

3. init 3

After the 2 commands above restart your computer once again or it will not go through the install process..

Now install the NVIDIA Driver.

4.   sh <filename>.run   -------------> This is the name of your downloaded Nvidia driver


My install is now like 5x faster and has no lag opening pages...etc since I installed the driver. This was a big performance booster for me

No comments:

Post a Comment